Ok, so we all want to stay healthy and look the best we can, whilst keeping at least 10 years off our true age, but did you know you can do that just by changing the way you eat your vegetables?
Most people already know that eating plenty of vegetables is essential for health. They provide the body with essential vitamins, minerals and powerful anti-oxidants that slow down the effects of ageing and fight off disease. There are certain ways of eating your veg that can make them even healthier, which can also lead to weight loss and less wrinkles.
It is recommended we eat 5 portions of vegetables a day, but for maximum health and beauty benefits we should be having twice that amount. Here are some tips on how you can eat them for the maximum beautylicious effects :
- Never Buy Pre-Packed Chopped Vegetables: Antioxidants and other phytonutrients (micronutrients that slow down the ageing process and protect against disease) start to break down in veg as soon as they are exposed to air and light. This is called the oxidation process and is evident when you chop apples, bananas or avocado. To keep the power in your veg chop just before you eat.
2. Make Sure You Include Frozen Fruit and Veg. We tend to think fresh is best, but that is not always the case. Fruit and vegetables designated for the freezer aisles are often frozen within hours of being harvested. This ensures nutrients stay in tact for longer. With fresh produce it sometimes take months for it to get from the farm to our plate, and although it looks fresh many of the vital nutrients are lost within 2 days of being picked. For this reason frozen can often be more nutritious.
3. Leave Chopped Garlic 10 Minutes Before Cooking. This is because the strong antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, found in garlic, develop after the enzyme, that creates allicin, has been broken up and aired for at least 10 minutes.
4. Always Eat Salad and Veg With Healthy Fat. Vitamins A, D, E and K found in salad and veg, are fat soluble vitamins, meaning for them to be absorbed they need to be digested with fat. The fat keeps us full for longer, which aids weight loss and prevents snacking, and helps keep the skin smooth and wrinkle free.
5. Use Tinned Tomatoes and Cook Them. Because of canning, tinned tomatoes are much higher in antioxidants. Tomato paste being even higher. The longer tomatoes are cooked the better. Long cooking means the antioxidant, lycopene, is more readily utilized within the body. The wonderful tomato flavour also intensifies the long it is cooked.
6. Eat Potatoes Cold. Chilling potatoes for 24 hours after cooking changes the starch into what’s known as resistant starch. Resistant starch is higher in fibre, slows down the spike in blood sugars (meaning no weight gain) and can usually be tolerated by those who have problems with potatoes and other nightshades.
7. Save The Peel. We all know the peel is where the most nutrients are in any vegetable. Instead of binning them add them to broths or coat them in oil, oven roast them and eat them as chips.
8. Eat Your Veg Raw or Lightly Steamed: By eating your veg lightly cooked it retains the maximum amount of nutrients. This provides the body with heaps of enzymes and antioxidants. If you want to add an extra health and anti-ageing boost add some apple cider vinegar and/or turmeric, both of which are anti-inflammatory and super-duper healthy.
If you want to lose weight, stay young and pretty, be sure to include lots of vegetables in your diet!